Working abroad

When college graduation season rolled around, I was terrified. What the heck was I supposed to do now? Careers didn’t interest me, but neither did living with my parents. I wanted to travel, but I needed to earn money. All I wanted was for one person to tell me it was OK to assume the fetal position for the rest of my life and I would have done it.

Instead, the career counselor at Indiana University told me about working holiday visas, and in doing so, completely changed my outlook on the future.

Ten spectacular years, 30 jobs and 40 countries later, I’m freelancing and living in Australia — exactly what I want to be doing. Working abroad is surprisingly simple, yet many Americans don’t realize it’s an option.

1. What is a working holiday visa? Isn’t that like a credit card?

A working holiday visa, or WHV, allows you to take temporary work for a fixed period of time (usually up to 12 months) in a foreign country. Currently, Americans are eligible for WHVs in a wide variety of places, including New Zealand, Australia, Ireland, Canada and Singapore. Restrictions apply based on age and student status, but most students and recent graduates should fit the criteria.

2. What’s the catch?

You have to be proactive. Working abroad programs such as BUNAC or SWAP can provide you with helpful resources for finding jobs and accommodation, but they can’t guarantee anything. When it comes down to the details, you’re in charge.

3. I majored in biochemical engineering with a minor in Mandarin. Will I be able to find a job in my field?

The WHV isn’t intended to build careers — it’s designed to facilitate travel. Although it is possible to find a job in your field, you’re looking at plenty of advance research and a lot of time. Stay flexible and open to different industries and you will increase your chances of finding work.

4. So what if I don’t find a job?

Have a contingency plan and bring more money than you think you need. Approach your job search just as you would in the U.S., but be a little more flexible. In a foreign country, you might not have the safety net of friends and family to fall back on — that’s where the extra money comes in.

5. How much money should I bring?

The actual amount will vary, of course, but plan to cover transportation, accommodation and food while you look for work. Once you find a place to live, you might have to pay two months’ rent upfront (the first month’s rent plus a security deposit). Don’t forget to factor in exchange rates. When you think you’ve saved up enough, save some more.

6. This sounds expensive. Will I make enough money to cover my expenses?

You certainly can make enough money, provided you make sure to live within your means. It may mean maintaining a student-like budget for another year, but traveling and seeing a new country are the real payoffs.

7. A whole year? What should I pack?

Speaking from personal experience, I’d advise you to leave your rollerblades at home. Swap your suitcase for a more manageable backpack and go easy on the unnecessary items. Think in layers, and be practical. Do you hike at home? Do you really think you’ll hike in your host country? Maybe leave the heavy boots behind, then.

8. What if I get lonely?

I’m not going to lie — being away from home, especially during major events and holidays, can be hard. It’s not for everyone. At times it might feel like you’re the only one out there doing this, but guess what? You’re not. Reach out to people at work, hostels and even online through Twitter, blogs and Facebook.

9. How do I apply?

For more information and eligibility requirements, check the immigration websites for the country you’re interested in. Some WHVs are even issued online.

Indiana native Lauren Fitzpatrick never got a proper job. Instead, she got work visas for Ireland, England, Australia, New Zealand and Korea. She has held over 30 jobs, including carny, English teacher and movie extra. Lauren blogs about travel and working abroad at Lateral Movements, and you can follow her on Facebook or Twitter.

http://www.usatodayeducate.com/staging/index.php/study-abroad/9-faqs-about-working-abroad